Recently I upgraded my “Zend Certified Engineer PHP 5.3” to the new “Zend Certified PHP Engineer” that covers the 5.5 version of PHP. I found the exam quite similar to the previous one (I believe some questions were actually the same). But there were some new topics:
- JSON – A question about JSONSerializable
- DateTime – Some timezone questions and one about DateInterval
- Password Hashing API – A fine addition, one question about the password_hash function
- SPL – Several questions on the SPL, particularly of using objects as arrays
- Traits – Several questions about traits, including use and conflict resolution
The exam level is very similiar to the previous one, but it’s nevertheless good to keep the exam up to date with the language features. The new topics are great to provoke studying and getting to know new features. The complete list of topics is available at: http://www.zend.com/en/services/certification/php-certification/.
The exam voucher can be bought at the Zend website or at Pearson Vue for $ 195. Those who already have the PHP 5.3 certification get a $ 70 discount on the exam (you have to send them an e-mail). If you pass the exam you also get a perpetual Zend Studio license.